BANGALORE: Two dilapidated road side electric poles fell during Sunday Bazaar on the busy Ascot Sreenivasa Char Road on B V K Iyengar Road, severely injuring a 70-year-old man and a 40-year-old woman on Sunday evening, the police said. The injured have been identified as Aamir (70), a native of Shanthinagar in Mysore, and Mallika (40), a resident of Indira Gandhi Slum in Jayanagar. Aamir used to come to the city along with his physically challenged son Saifulla for Sunday Bazaar to sell novelties. His head and back have been injured in the incident. Mallika, who sustained injuries on her forehead, was selling footwears. They were shifted to Victoria Hospital and later to NIMHANS. Their condition is said to be normal and out of danger.
The police said that the Sunday Bazaar opens on every Sunday from 9 am to 7 pm and the vendors sell various goods at throw away prices. As the Bazaar was about to close, two electric poles fell on the street injuring the vendors around 6.30 pm. There was no huge crowd when the incident took place and the two vendors were injured. The electric wires were insulated and hence it did not result in electrocution and also after the poles collapsed, the power supply got cut. Other vendors alleged that most of the electric poles in the area were not in a good condition and need to be replaced.