New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar has announced his retirement from ODIs on Sunday. The 39-year-old was expected to make a return for the upcoming ODI series against Pakistan.
Tendulkar, who played 463 ODIs and made a record 18,426 runs with 49 hundreds, said in a statement released by the BCCI: "I have decided to retire from the One Day format of the game. I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup wining Indian team.
"The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early and in right earnest. I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future. I am eternally grateful to all my well wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years."
Sachin, who made his ODI debut against Pakistan on December 18, 1989, played a key role in India's 2011 World Cup triumph in the sub-continent. He was also the first batsman to score 200 runs in an ODI innings: it came against South Africa in Gwalior in 2010.
"Winning the World Cup [in 2011] is the proudest moment of my life. ... I couldn't control my tears of joy," Tendulkar said after attaining a long-time dream at his home ground Wankhede Stadium on April 2 last year.
Former chief selector Krishnamachari Srikkanth said he was shocked at the timing of the announcement.
"Sachin's announcement has come as a big surprise," Srikkanth told CNN-IBN. "I thought he would play in the one-day series against Pakistan."
Contrary to most reports, CNN-IBN had reported on December 21 that the batsman might get the snub for the Pakistan ODIs.