• 2009: The last time a team batted first in a Test at the Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo and failed to post 300. The team was Pakistan and they managed to score 299.
• 2007: The last time a team batted first and lost a Test at the Sinhalese Sports Club, Colombo. Bangladesh were bowled out for 89 and went on to lose by an innings and 234 runs.
• 61.09: Virat Kohli’s Test batting average as captain. This is the fourth best Test batting average by a captain (min. 1000 Test runs as skipper).
• 71.43%: Virat Kohli’s fifty-to-century conversion rate as captain: he has converted 10 of his 14 Test fifties into Test centuries. This is the best conversion ratio by any Test captain in Test history (filter: min. ten fifty-plus scores as Test captain)
• 3: The top 3 best bowlers in Test matches might be playing this match: -
o No. 1: Ravindra Jadeja: 897 ranking pts
o No. 2: R. Ashwin: 849 ranking pts
o No. 3: Rangana Herath: 828 ranking pts (Herath is being monitored currently).
• 57.60: Dinesh Chandimal’s Test batting average against India. His Test-best score of 162* came against India at Galle in 2015.
• 34: Runs that Cheteshwar Pujara needs to score 4000 Test runs. If he gets these runs in the 1st innings when India bat, he will be the joint-3rd fastest Indian to this landmark. Only Sehwag (79 innings) and Gavaskar (81 innings) will have reached this landmark in fewer innings than Pujara’s potential 84. Rahul Dravid reached 4000 Test runs in 84 Test innings.
o It’s likely Pujara will reach it in the first innings when India bat, given that he averages a mighty 104.33 against Sri Lanka in Tests.
• 2: Wickets Ravindra Jadeja needs to reach 150 Test wickets. If he gets them in this match, Jadeja will be the second-quickest Indian to this landmark (w.r.t. Test matches played). Only R. Ashwin got there quicker (in 29 Tests) compared to Jadeja reaching in 32 Tests.
• 47.03: Rangana Herath’s Test bowling average against India: His worst against any opponent.
o Additionally, he takes a wicket every 14.2 overs against India, also his worst. He concedes at 3.29 RPO against India in Tests: They are the only opponent he concedes at more than 3 RPO against.
• 29.10: Upul Tharanga’s Test batting average in home Test matches. Interestingly, his average shoots up to 41.28 when playing away from home.
• 416: Days since Lahiru Thirimanne last played a Test match for Sri Lanka, if he plays this Test.
• 63.56: Shikhar Dhawan’s strike rate in Tests. Among batsmen opening the innings who have scored 1500+ Test runs, only 5 batsmen in Test history have outpaced him: -
o Sehwag (83.10), Warner (78.60), Trumper (71.42), Dilshan (71.35) & Jayasuriya (65.84)
First Published: August 2, 2017, 6:52 PM IST