Chennai: Tamil Nadu Minister and DMK candidate K P P Samy has filed a petition in Madras High Court seeking a direction to EC and its officials to pay Rs five crore by way of damages for "loss of reputation" in view of "unfounded and unauthorised search" at his house.
In his petition, the minister alleged that on March 22, a flying squad of the Election Commission, without any prior intimation, barged into his house and started searching it stating they had information that free dhotis and sarees had been stocked for distribution.
The search was videograped and went on for more than one hour after which the officials informed that nothing as alleged was found in his house and left the place.
He further alleged that the said videograph was "strangely telecast on the AIADMK-backed Jaya TV."
The action of the officials was done with a view to affect his reputation not only in society but also among the voters of his Thiruvottiyur constituency, he said.
He prayed to the court to issue an interim injunction restraining EC authorities from interfering with the peaceful canvassing of election or entering his house and from telecasting the raid conducted in his residence pending disposal of the writ petition.
The petitioner said his right to privacy cannot be infringed and he cannot be put to constant threat of raid and loss of reputation till elections are over.
When the matter came up before a Division Bench, comprising Justice Elipe Dharma Rao and Justice M Venogopal, senior counsel for the petitioner, R Viduathalai, said the raid was politically motivated and sought an interim injunction.
However, G Rajagopalan, senior counsel for EC opposed it.
After hearing the submissions, the Bench directed counsel for petitioner to include Jaya TV as one of the respondents and posted the case along with other election petitions, for further hearing on March 28.