Quick Links



    Rahul Sharma pleads innocence in rave row

    New Delhi: India and Pune Warriors player Rahul Sharma on Monday refuted allegation that he was present at a rave party in a Mumbai hotel, claiming that he had gone there to attend a birthday celebration.

    "I was invited to a birthday party. Wayne Parnell was with me, I did not know that there was a rave party at the hotel," said the spinner, who along with his Pune Warriors team-mate, was detained by the police after a raid at the Hotel Oakwoods in Juhu.

    "We reached there at around 7 in the evening and all of a sudden within half an hour of us reaching there, the police raid happened. We didn't know what was happening, I asked the police officers and they told me that a raid was in progress," he said.

    Sharma said he has been cooperative with the police and claimed that he has never touched alcohol. "We have cooperated with the police and have even given medical tests. I belong to a simple family and have not even had a beer in my life, where does the question of attending a rave party arise?" he asked.

    "I have told everything to the team management and things would be clear once the medical report comes out," he said.

    On the other hand, Parnell has claimed that he doesn't do drugs and was at the wrong place at the wrong time when the police raided the hotel.

    Parnell, who converted to Islam last year said, "I don't do drugs. Myself and Rahul were there at the hotel in a party at the request of a friend. We went there and at 7'o'clock police were all over in the party. We were just at the wrong place at the wrong time," said Parnell.

    Asked if the friend was an old acquaintance, Parnell said: "It was an old friend and we met him last year. We have been in touch with him since then. We have nothing to do with drugs. We are on the WADA [World Anti Doping Agency] list and tested regularly."

    The 22-year-old from Port Elizabeth said he and Sharma had given their blood and urine for testing and were confident that they would come out clean. "We fully co-operated with the cops. We have also given them our blood and urine sample and I am confident that our reports will be negative," said Parnell.

    Parnell said after they were rounded up they were separated in two groups of boys and girls and were taken to a hospital. "We were taken to two-three hospitals and then landed up at the same hospital where the group was there. We have signed all the papers and submitted the documents as well," he said.