Quick Links

    footballnext News
    • 0
    • 0

    Berbatov goal helps Fulham beat Tottenham Hotspur

    London: Dimitar Berbatov scored his first goal at White Hart Lane since leaving Tottenham as Fulham won 1-0 Sunday to hurt Spurs' bid to qualify for the Champions League. The Bulgarian striker, who scored 46 goals for Tottenham from 2006-08, declined to celebrate after finding the net in the 52nd minute with a mis-hit shot that flew past goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.

    Berbatov's fourth goal in his past five matches gave Fulham their first win at White Hart Lane in 10 years and means Tottenham will drop a place to fourth should Chelsea beat West Ham later.

    It was the first victory at the ground for Fulham manager Martin Jol since being fired as Spurs boss in 2007. Tottenham played 120 minutes Thursday before advancing past Inter Milan in the Europa League.

    In another match, Norwich held on for a 1-1 draw against Sunderland after playing most of the match with 10 men following goalkeeper Mark Dunn's sending off. Norwich were leading 1-0 at the Stadium of Light through Wes Hoolahan's close-range header when Bunn was dismissed on the half-hour for handling outside his area.

    It got worse for Norwich five minutes before halftime when defender Sebastien Bassong conceded a penalty, and Craig Gardner leveled from the spot. Gardner later forced a vital save from substitute goalkeeper Lee Camp.

    Norwich appealed for a 70th-minute penalty for handball. Norwich are now 10 points above of the relegation zone and Sunderland are seven points clear.

    Elsewhere, Arouna Kone boosted Wigan's chances of staying in league with a late goal to secure a 2-1 win over Newcastle in a game that was marred by an ugly tackle on Massadio Haidara.

    Kone slotted in the winner in the 90th minute after a goalmouth scramble following a corner, with the Newcastle players all appealing for handball on Maynor Figueroa.

    Newcastle had been even more furious earlier following Callum McManaman's wreckless knee-high challenge on Haidara in the first half, which went unpunished by referee Mark Halsey. Haidara had to be carried off on a stretcher and was taken to a hospital for evaluation, and Newcastle's anger spilled over into a halftime scuffle with furious assistant manager John Carver having to be restrained as he tried to confront McManaman.

    Wigan had gone in front in the 18th through Jean Beasejour, with Davide Santon equalizing for Newcastle in the 72nd.