Kia To Set-Up First Factory In India
Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon"
Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon" (Photo: Reuters)
South Korean carmaker Kia Motors Corp will announce a plan for its first factory in India "soon", vice chairman Lee Hyong-keun told reporters on Wednesday.
The comment, made on the sidelines of the Shanghai auto show, came after Kia and affiliate Hyundai Motor Co suffered a March sales slump in China, their biggest market, attributed to a political standoff and rising competition from local brands.
Kia said in a regulatory filing on Wednesday that the investment size for its India plant has not been decided.
As reported by Economic Times on Monday, the envisioned factory involves two phases with combined investment of $1.6 billion, in one of the biggest foreign direct investment projects in India.
Reuters reported in February that Kia was close to finalising Andhra Pradesh as the site for its first Indian factory, with production scheduled to start in 2019.
Recommended For You
- 'Undercooked' Grilled Chicken Adds to Steve Smith & Co's Frustration
- HP Spectre x360 Review: The Finest Convertible From HP [With Video]
- MS Dhoni and I Have Moved On: Julie 2 Actor Opens Up About Her Past Affair
- Is Your iPhone And iPad iOS 11 Compatible? See the List
- Rahul Dev Guides You About Battle Ropes Workout