Sales of Smart Cars Pass the Two Million Mark
Smart has announced that sales of the car have passed the two million mark. (Photo: AFP Relaxnews)
Smart, the maker of the zippy urban microcar, has announced that sales have passed the two million mark.
The smart car first launched back in 1998 and has proven to be a pioneer in the industry. After enjoying success not only as a private vehicle for city dwellers, the car also became a tailor-made vehicle for car-sharing scheme car2go, and at the end of 2015 became the world's first car manufacturer to offer an online store complete with a virtual showroom. Now sold in 46 markets, it was revealed just last month that smart's sales had increased by 20.8%, with sales in China almost treble in August 2016 of what they were in August 2015. China is the third biggest sales market for smart after Germany and Italy.
Commenting on the news, Annette Winkler, head of smart, said "Whether it's fitted with a combustion engine or an electric motor, whether it's a two-seater, a four-seater or a stunning Cabrio -- smart brings drivers plenty of joy and saves them time. For our customers smart is much more than 'just' a car."
Recommended For You
- 'Slow Motion' MS Dhoni Teases Jason Holder During Second ODI
- Tubelight BO Collection: Salman's Film Mints Rs 66 cr on Day 3
- Team India Coach: Mahela Jayawardene Says He is Not In the Race
- 12 of Bollywood's Eid Releases That Created Box Office Records
- Kohli & Boys Find the Perfect Place to Celebrate Win over Windies