Sales of Smart Cars Pass the Two Million Mark
Smart has announced that sales of the car have passed the two million mark. (Photo: AFP Relaxnews)
Smart, the maker of the zippy urban microcar, has announced that sales have passed the two million mark.
The smart car first launched back in 1998 and has proven to be a pioneer in the industry. After enjoying success not only as a private vehicle for city dwellers, the car also became a tailor-made vehicle for car-sharing scheme car2go, and at the end of 2015 became the world's first car manufacturer to offer an online store complete with a virtual showroom. Now sold in 46 markets, it was revealed just last month that smart's sales had increased by 20.8%, with sales in China almost treble in August 2016 of what they were in August 2015. China is the third biggest sales market for smart after Germany and Italy.
Commenting on the news, Annette Winkler, head of smart, said "Whether it's fitted with a combustion engine or an electric motor, whether it's a two-seater, a four-seater or a stunning Cabrio -- smart brings drivers plenty of joy and saves them time. For our customers smart is much more than 'just' a car."
Recommended For You
- Ranji Top Scorer Priyank Panchal Says Second Best Doesn't Count
- Salman Khan Arms Act Case: If Convicted, Business Will Get Affected
- Rahul Gandhi Trolled For 'Torn Kurta' Antic During His Speech In Rishikesh
- Watch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment
- Hero Achiever 150 Review: Smart Features And Easy Riding