Hong Kong Open Super Series: Carolina Marin Knocked Out In Semis
Carolina Marin (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: World number one Carolina Marin's season-long super series drought continued Saturday, after the Olympic gold medalist was defeated by Taiwan’s Tai Tzu-ying during their Hong Kong Open semi-final match.
The defending Hong Kong Open champion appeared nothing short of unstoppable all week, powering through opponents with whipping overheads and slicing drop shots along with healthy servings of her signature shrieks.
"I'm really disappointed with the game today," said Marin, who won the Olympic gold and European championship this summer but has failed to clinch a super series title in 2016.
The rivals battled shot-for-shot in the opening game with Tai gradually seizing the momentum as Marin struggled to find form, before the two-time world champion powered back in the second.
But the final game saw Tai rally with the Hong Kong crowd firmly in her corner as the Spaniard struggled to keep the shuttlecock in play.
"The crowd supported me a lot." said Tai, who knocked out Marin during the quarter-finals of the China Open last week.
Third ranked Tai is aiming to capture her second super series title this season, after grabbing the Indonesia Open in June, and will square off with the winner of P.V. Sindhu and Cheung Ngan-yi's semi-final match.
Recommended For You
- CLOSE SHAVEUmpire Paul Reiffel Retires Hurt After Being Hit by Bhuvneshwar Kumar's Throw
- VALUE FOR MONEYReliance Jio Impact: Airtel Launches Free Voice Calls And Data Packs
- Amazing videoYouTube Rewind Celebrates Videos, People And Trends That Made 2016 Memorable
- Fascinating!The Circle Trailer: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks Starrer is Dark and Compelling
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly