Hong Kong Open Super Series: PV Sindhu Loses to Tai Tzu Ying in Final
Pv Sindhu settles for silver in Hong Kong. (Getty Images)
India's Olympic silver-medallist PV Sindhu faltered at the last hurdle as she succumbed to a straight-games defeat at the hands of Chinese Taipei's Tai Tzu Ying in the final of Hong Kong Open Super Series 2016 on Sunday.
Sindhu was gunning for a second successive Super Series title but it ended in disappointment as she lost 15-21, 17-21 in an encounter that lasted 41 minutes.
Sindhu didn't begin the match well as the fourth seed Tzu Ying raced to an early 6-3 lead. But the Hyderabadi hit back to level the first game at 6-6.
India's silver queen took the lead at 8-7 but from there on the first game became all about Tzu Ying.
The World Number three raced to a massive 15-8 lead and her near-perfect game simply blew Sindhu away.
She maintained the lead and grabbed the opening game 21-15 without much of a trouble.
The second game was much more even affair between the two and Sindhu started the game brightly racing to a 4-1 lead. But the fourth seed won four successive points to go 5-4 up in no time.
The thrilling second game was tied at 10-10 at one point with neither of the two stars giving an inch to the other.
Tzu Ying showed her class yet again as she raced to a 17-13 lead in no time. Tzu Ying's ability to retrieve almost everything that Sindhu threw at her stood out.
Sindhu saved one match point but the lead proved to be too much in the end as the Chinese Taipei girl finally closed the second game 21-17 to clinch the title.
Recommended For You
- It's Showtime!Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer is Here and Baby Groot Owns It
- Legal TroubleBigg Boss 10: Omji Maharaj Out of the House, To Appear Before Delhi Court
- Can't MissJolly LLB 2 First Look: Akshay Kumar is a 'Jolly Good' Middle Class Man
- Snapped!Virat-Anushka Are All Smiles As They Head Back From Yuvraj-Hazel Wedding
- PARTNER CONTENTCash Crunch: Yes Bank SIMsePAY Enables Cashless Transactions Without Smartphone or Internet