Hong Kong Open Super Series: PV Sindhu Storms Into Quarter-Final, Jayaram, Sameer Also Through
PV Sindhu. (Getty Images)
Kowloon: PV Sindhu's victorious run continued as she stormed in the quarter-final of the Hong Kong Open Super Series tournament with an easy second round victory.
Sindhu made short work of the challenge of Chinese Taipei's HSU Ya Ching, destroying her 21-10, 21-14 in straight games to make it through to the last 8 of the tournament.
Sindhu was in complete command of the match from the word go and never gave an inch to her opponent. Sindhu's power game was at its best as she raced to early leads in both the games.
The Rio Olympics silver medallist is in rich vein of form having already pocketed her maiden Super Series title at the China Open earlier this month.
Her victory comes a few hours after Saina Nehwal also made it through to the quarter-finals. Both the Indian shuttlers are on collision course as another victory for either would lead to a semi-final showdown between the Hyderabadi girls.
Sindhu had an easy outing in the first round too as she notched up a 21-13 21-16 win over Susanto Yulia Yosephin of Indonesia in 32 minutes.
Sindhu has jumped up to the 9th spot in the latest BWF rankings and her efforts are on to break into the top eight of the world, which will give her a chance to play in the prestigious year ending Superseries Finals.
In the men's singles event, Ajay Jayaram defeated China's Yuxiang Huang 21-18, 21-19 in a match that lasted 39 minutes to enter the quarter-finals. India's Sameer Verma also advanced to the quarter-finals after defeating Japan's Kazumasa Sakai 19-21 21-15 21-11 in 53 minutes.
Recommended For You
- TRANS-TASMAN RIVALRYAustralia Vs New Zealand, 1st ODI, Live Score: Kiwis Need 325 to Win
- It's Showtime!Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer is Here and Baby Groot Owns It
- Can't MissJolly LLB 2 First Look: Akshay Kumar is a 'Jolly Good' Middle Class Man
- Snapped!Virat-Anushka Are All Smiles As They Head Back From Yuvraj-Hazel Wedding
- PARTNER CONTENTCash Crunch: Yes Bank SIMsePAY Enables Cashless Transactions Without Smartphone or Internet