Hong Kong Open Super Series: Saina Nehwal Bows Out Fighting
aina Nehwal bowed out of the Hong Kong Open Super Series tournament as she went down fighting in the quarter-final 9-21, 21-18, 19-21 to local favourite Cheung Ngan Yi.
File image of Saina Nehwal playing a shot during a game. (Getty Images)
Kowloon: Saina Nehwal bowed out of the Hong Kong Open Super Series tournament as she went down fighting in the quarter-final 8-21, 21-18, 19-21 to local favourite Cheung Ngan Yi.
Saina was no match to her opponent's fast paced display in the first game and was completely outplayed as the local favourite pocketed the openeing game 21-8.
The London Olympics Bronze medallist though came back strongly to take the second game 21-18 and pushed the match into the decider.
Both players were neck and neck in the final game and were tied at 10-10 at one point. But Ngan Yi produced an 8-point burst to go up 18-11 to all but end Saina's hopes of reaching the last. The Indian though was not ready to throw in the towel just yet and fought back to 17-18.
Cheung Ngan Yi though kept her cool as the two players battled it out in long rallies to finally win the deciding game 21-19 to make her way into the semi-finals where she will play an upbeat PV Sindhu from India.
Recommended For You
- WhatsApp Live Location: Say Hi to This New Feature to Sour Your Relationships
- Secret Superstar review: Heartbreaking And Heartwarming In Equal Measure
- Secret Superstar Is More Than Just a Story of Dreams and Passion, Here's Why
- AR Rahman Took Around 1,000 Auditions For Upcoming Film 99 Songs
- Have You Seen These Inside Photos From Ekta Kapoor's Pre-Diwali Bash Yet?