Hong Kong Open Super Series: Saina Nehwal Bows Out Fighting
File image of Saina Nehwal playing a shot during a game. (Getty Images)
Kowloon: Saina Nehwal bowed out of the Hong Kong Open Super Series tournament as she went down fighting in the quarter-final 8-21, 21-18, 19-21 to local favourite Cheung Ngan Yi.
Saina was no match to her opponent's fast paced display in the first game and was completely outplayed as the local favourite pocketed the openeing game 21-8.
The London Olympics Bronze medallist though came back strongly to take the second game 21-18 and pushed the match into the decider.
Both players were neck and neck in the final game and were tied at 10-10 at one point. But Ngan Yi produced an 8-point burst to go up 18-11 to all but end Saina's hopes of reaching the last. The Indian though was not ready to throw in the towel just yet and fought back to 17-18.
Cheung Ngan Yi though kept her cool as the two players battled it out in long rallies to finally win the deciding game 21-19 to make her way into the semi-finals where she will play an upbeat PV Sindhu from India.
Recommended For You
- Bumrah Hits Out at Jaipur Police Ad Mocking Him
- Jagga Jasoos: Katrina, Ranbir Look Adorable in the New Song Jhumritalaiyya
- Jaguar Teases E-pace, to Make Global Debut on July 13th
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Watch: Tubelight Kid Matin Rey Tangu's Adorable Audition Footage