Hong Kong Open Super Series: Sameer Verma Falls Short in Thrilling Final
Sameer Verma (L) settles for silver at the Hong Kong Open Super Series. (Getty Images)
National Badminton Champion Sameer Verma fell short of winning his maiden Super Series title as he went down fighting in a thrilling Hong Kong Super Series final to local lad Ng Ka Long Angus on Sunday.
Sameer led 2-0 in head-to-head record prior to this match but lost 14-21 21-10 11-21 in an epic clash that lasted 50 minutes.
Verma was slow off the blocks as he conceded an early 1-7 lead to the world number 11 Angus in the first game.
With the roaring crowd cheering him on, Long Angus closed the first game 21-14 in a dominating fashion.
Sameer turned the match on its head in the second game and raced to a 7-2 lead in no time. Verma's signature baseline hitting came to the fore in the second game that helped him beat world number 3 Jorgensen in the semis.
The Indian thumped Angus 21-10 in the second game to force the match into the decider.
However, in the third game, Angus turned the match into his favour and opened with a 4-1 lead. At the mid-way interval of the third game, Verma trailed 4-11, as Angus raised his game dramatically.
Few unforced errors in the end didn't help Verma's cause either as Angus closed the third game to win his maiden Super Series title at home.
Recommended For You
- #TrendingMaisie Williams Topless Pictures Leaked Online; Aren't Explicit Says Rep
- Birthday Surprise!Rani Mukerji Shares A Picture Of Daughter Adira On Her First Birthday
- Source Advisorkhoj#FutureIsCashless, But Your Money Should Grow Too!
- It's Here!Spiderman: Homecoming Trailer is Everything We Hoped For
- IMPORTED TALENTSouth Africa Born Cricketers Who Have Done Well for England