Hong Kong Open Super Series: Top Seed Carolina Marin Through to Semis
Spain's Carolina Marin in action during the Hong Kong Open Super Series. (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: World and Olympic champion Carolina Marin was told off about her trademark screaming as she roared into the Hong Kong Open semi-finals on Friday.
The courtside umpire took Marin to task and warned her not to look into the eyes of her opponent, Japan's Akane Yamaguchi, while screaming during her 21-7, 21-18 win.
The Spanish world number one strikes an intimidating figure on court and frequently screams to celebrate a point -- in contrast with her reserved opponents.
According to Badminton World Federation rules, players are not allowed to utter obscenities on court or direct oral abuse at opponents, officials or fans.
"This is how I am. This is my character," the Spaniard told AFP, while Yamaguchi shrugged off the behaviour as "Carolina's style".
Several top women's tennis players are known for their on-court shrieking, including Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka, but the phenomenon is rare in badminton.
Fans at the Hong Kong Coliseum seemed bemused by the spectacle, with many giggling or jeering, and others accusing Marin of showing a lack of sportsmanship.
"I don't like it. This (screaming) will disturb her opponent," said fan Wendy Siu.
Others chalked up Marin's screams to the spirit of competition.
"I think it's okay," shrugged Cato Yeung. "Many athletes scream."
Recommended For You
- TRANS-TASMAN RIVALRYAustralia Vs New Zealand, 1st ODI, Live Score: Kiwis Need 325 to Win
- Hacking Twitter's SecurityTwitter Hack: 10 Important Steps to Keep Your Account Safe
- HEARTBROKENReal Madrid Equaliser a "Jug of Cold Water" For Barcelona's Luis Enrique
- Can't MissJolly LLB 2 First Look: Akshay Kumar is a 'Jolly Good' Middle Class Man
- Snapped!Virat-Anushka Are All Smiles As They Head Back From Yuvraj-Hazel Wedding