Macau Open 2016: Top Seed Saina Nehwal Crashes Out in Quarters
Top seed Saina Nehwal suffered a huge upset at the hands of World Number 226 Chinese Star Zhang Yiman in straight games to crash out the Macau Open 2016.
Macau: Top seed Saina Nehwal suffered a huge upset at the hands of World Number 226 Zhang Yiman in straight games to crash out the Macau Open 2016.
The unseeded Zhang Yiman thrashed Saina, who recently jumped to the number 10 spot in the world, 21-12, 21-17, in a match that lasted just 35 minutes.
Yiman started brightly in the first game, taking a quick 9-7 lead. However, after a series of uncharacteristic mistakes by the Indian star, Zhang surged ahead and went on to clinch the first game 21-12.
Saina seemed a different athlete in the second game as she raced to a 5-0 lead early on. But the Zhang hit back strongly reducing the game to 7-9.
Saina crumbled under the pressure as gave away the lead as Zhang rallied back to take a 17-12 lead in the second game.
In the end, four match points proved too much for Saina to make a comeback, as she conceded the second game 17-21.
Recommended For You
- Jagga Jasoos: Katrina, Ranbir Look Adorable in the New Song Jhumritalaiyya
- Jaguar Teases E-pace, to Make Global Debut on July 13th
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Jason Roy Dismissed in the Most Unusual Way Against Proteas
- Watch: Tubelight Kid Matin Rey Tangu's Adorable Audition Footage