Macau Open 2016: Top Seed Saina Nehwal Survives Scare, Enters Round Two
Saina Nehwal. (Getty Images)
Macau: Top seed Saina Nehwal scripted a thrilling comeback victory over Indonesian shuttler Hanna Ramadini to enter the second round of Macau Open 2016.
After dropping the first game, the 2012 Olympic bronze medalist roared back to life in the next two, to win the match 21-23 21-14 21-18 in just over an hour.
The duo were facing each other for the first time, and the match was neck-and-neck in the first game. The game was locked at 20-20 at one point and from there on, Ramadini showed great composure to take the first game 23-21 in 24 minutes.
An upset was on the cards but the ace Indian shuttler scripted a remarkable turnaround in the next two games.
Saina raced to a 9-3 lead in the second game and never looked back from there to take the second game 21-14.
With momentum on her side, Saina continued her domination in the third game, taking a quick 10-5 lead.
Ramadini showed some resistance in the end but Saina's experience proved to be too much for the Indonesian as she won the final game 21-18 to progress into the next round.
Saina will next face Dinar Dyah Ayustine in the second round of the competition on Thursday.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Team India Series Report Card
- Bharat Stage 'BS' Emission Norms Explained, What Does it Mean and How Does it Impact You
- Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Samsung Galaxy S8+: What's The Difference?
- Johnson Takes Jibe at Kohli, Says Rahane Should Remain Captain
- Samsung Galaxy S8 And Galaxy S8+ Launched, Shipping Starts April 21