Author Mahasweta Devi Passes Away at 90
Mahasweta Devi was suffering from age-related ailments for the past month.
Noted author, political activist and Magsaysay award winner Mahasweta Devi is dead. She was 90. The celebrated author was on a ventilator support for the past two weeks at a private hospital in Kolkata. The author was admitted to the hospital with age-related ailments in the beginning of July.
Known for her tireless work for upliftment of tribals across the country, Mahasweta Devi was also said to be suffering from blood-related diseases along urinary track infection.She had suffered a cardiac stroke late Wednesday night. The author breathed her last on Thursday afternoon.
A writer of courage and conviction she took on the governments fighting for the causes of poor and downtrodden. Her son and well known author Nabarun Bhattacharya died a year ago.
Reacting to her death noted writer Ashok Vajpayee said “She was a very imaginative writer. Full of courage and gusto. She was a brave author. She gave tribals a voice in India”.
The author's powerful writing fetched her numerous literary awards including the Jnanpith, Padma Vibhushan. One of the most celebrated authors of Bengal, her writings were made into feature films as well including Govind Nihalani's Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Ma.
The chief minister Mamata Banerjee said that West Bengal had lost a glorious mother.
Recommended For You
- Youtube rewindRajnikanth's Kabali Trailer: The Most Watched Movie Trailer on YouTube in 2016
- Best of the best?Rannvijay or Prince? Who is The Best Roadie of All Time
- Making of AmmaA Viral Post on Jayalalithaa Highlights the Odds She Fought to Become Tamil Nadu's Iron Lady
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly
- PARTNERSHIP ENDSWorld Number Two Novak Djokovic Splits With Coach Boris Becker