'Becoming a Mountain' is a must read for those who want to look for calm and peace of mind
"Becoming a Mountain" by Stephen Alter is more than just a travelogue.
I have always been wary of reading travelogues. I somehow feel that the author may not be able to capture the scenic beauty or the imagery of the place through a book.
I honestly believe that one needs to experience it for oneself. Travelogues also have this strange element that lend to the reader - that of wanting to get out of the door and exploring the world - wide and ready to be jumped into.
"Becoming a Mountain" by Stephen Alter is more than just a travelogue. It is also born out of catharsis and at the same time it is personal enough to be a memoir, it is also a guide to live, and yet it is a combination of all of these.
It is the kind of book that demands attention and time away from everything and everyone. A must read for all those who want to look for calm and some peace of mind.
Book Name: Becoming a Mountain : Himalayan Journeys in Search of the Sacred and the Sublime
Author: Stephen Alter
Price: Rs 396
Publishers: Aleph Book Company
Vivek Tejuja works at Flipkart and loves to recommend books.
Recommended For You
- I Always Wanted to Bat Like Virender Sehwag, Says Sunil Gavaskar
- Would Choose Margarita With a Straw Over Any Big Budget Film: Sayani Gupta
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Coldplay- Chainsmokers Collaboration is Here and We Expected Something Just Like This
- Post Jolly LLB 2 Success, Makers Plan to Make a Sequel