If you are paranoid about English, English Bites is the book for you
The book is an investment that you will treasure for a very long time.
English used to give me nightmares at some point of time in my life. So much that I couldn't interact with my classmates and teachers when I was admitted to a new school because of the rule that if you speak in Hindi, you will have to pay a fine of 50 paisa per word spoken in Hindi. Well, I did end up paying a lot of money as fine but it also forced me to learn the intricacies of the language. When Manish Gupta, the author contacted me to review his book English Bites and sent the blurb of the book, I thought of it as a biography of a person who had a tough time in dealing with the language and yes say to its review copy.
English Bites turned out to be something else. Very different from what I thought it would be. It is definitely one of the smartest written books that I have read so far. English Bites is about the quest of a person, the author himself to conquer the language that once used to give him nightmares. It is a kind of biography but at the same time it is a LOT more than that.
Right from his school days till the author became a banker, his love and passion for the language has increased exponentially. So much so that he has penned down an entire book that will make you love the language. English Bites will add a lot of words to your vocabulary, will tell you interesting trivia about the language, origin of words, their meanings and a lot more. Hilarious illustrations, anecdotes and the way things have been put up in the book give a whole new dimension to it. What I personally liked about the book is the meaning of words given at the footer of each page, at times you feel like you are reading a dictionary, but then I am sure my word bank has definitely increased after reading this book.
I strongly recommend this book if you are paranoid about English language and fumble with it. This book is an investment that you will treasure for a very long time.
Book Source: Author; Publisher: Penguin India; Genre: Non-Fiction
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son
- Dalit Boy Whose Video Went Viral Says Was Thrashed Because of Good Grades