Irrfan, Arshad, Manoj are better actors than me, says Naseeruddin Shah
Girish Karnad and Naseeruddin Shah took centre stage on the first day of the Jaipur Literature Festival.
Jaipur: The front lawn of the historic Diggi Palace was absolutely packed as stalwarts Girish Karnad and Naseeruddin Shah took center stage on the first day of the Jaipur Literature Festival. The two actors discussed cinema and Shah's recently released autobiography 'And Then One Day' in front of a packed, attentive audience.
While the two gave insights of their career and the films that they worked, they also acknowledge the work of the recent filmmakers like Vishal Bhardwaj, Shoojit Sircar, Abhishek Chaubey. Karnad said, " I feel that the films that are being made now are better than the ones we did back then." To which Naseeruddin Shah reminded the Kannada actor, " We would have been disappointed had it been any other way. With the evolution of cinema over the years, they better be good!"
The 70s and 80s era saw a whole batch of actors like Om Puri, Naseeruddin Shah, Girish Karnad, Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil making their debut in art cinema. All are still hailed for their acting prowess. How long do the actors think would it take for Bollywood to get another Naseeruddin Shah or a Smita Patil again? "Why should they become another Naseeruddin Shah? In fact, the current crop of actors are much better than us. Irrfan (Khan), Arshad (Warsi), Manoj (Bajpayee) are all doing fabulous work and are better than us."
Calling acting a lonely profession, Naseeruddin Shah stated, "Acting is learnt not taught. You do it on your own. No one can really teach it to you and I have to say, it is a very lonely journey."
The veteran actor said that he had found love in his work and he would continue to act even if he is not paid for it.
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- PM Modi Bats for Women's Rights, Wants Practice of Triple Talaq to go
- I Want To Be My Best For My Daughter: Shahid Kapoor