DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Jaipur Literature Festival 2015: Alberto Manguel, Will Self, Nicholson Baker, Amit Chaudhuri discuss the writer's role as a critic
Noted personalities Alberto Manguel, Will Self, Nicholson Baker and Amit Chaudhuri were seen at the ongoing Jaipur Literature Festival.
Jaipur: "One of the first differences between a writer and a critic is that a critic wants to sound like he's read a lot. A writer, on the other hand, may want to sound unfinished, naive and incomplete at times," said Nicholson Baker, American writer of fiction and non-fiction.
Noted personalities such as Alberto Manguel, Will Self, Nicholson Baker and Amit Chaudhuri were gathered together on a rainy at the ongoing Jaipur Literature Festival, to discuss the topic 'Double lives: writers as critics'.
Noted British television personality and writer Will Self described the difference between the two styles of writing, "A writer has to be authentic, whereas a critic has to be authoritative," he explained.
"A critic must follow the same rules of journalism: afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted," he added.
The discussion alternated between the topics of fiction writing, non-fiction writing to journalism and modern criticism.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Trescothick Takes Wonder Catch and Scores 50th Century For Somerset
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Saif Ali Khan Opens Up About Ex-wife Amrita Singh In This Old Interview
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO