JLF 2016: Margaret Atwood makes keynote address, Raje welcomes literary enthusiasts
On Day 1, Ruskin Bond, Marlon James, Avirook Sen, Karan Johar will be seen speaking. The five days long festival will continue till January 25th.
Jaipur: Chilly winds early in the morning did not dampen the spirits of literary enthusiasts as people thronged to the front lawns of Diggi Palace to witness veteran poet, activist Margaret Atwood deliver the keynote at the inaugural ceremony of the 9th Zee Japiur Literature Festival on Thursday. And fans were not disappointed because Atwood was in top form as she mixed humour and nostalgia to deliver the keynote.
The Man Booker award winning author said, "They asked me to give the keynote. So either I am someone very important or some one very old. I think it is the latter," as the crowd erupted into laughter. Calling writers 'cheap dates', Atwood mentioned that how a literature festival like JLF 'doesn't only provide service to readers but also to writers.'
The morning started with morning ragas beautifully sung by classical vocalist Gayatri Kaundinya. When the Chief Minister of Rajasthan walked in, she was welcomed in by folk artists in typical Rajasthani style.
In its 9th year, the festival is expecting a footfall of a third of million this year. Director of festival Namita Gokhale stated that JLF will be focusing on writings on regional languages for a larger audience.
On Day 1, Ruskin Bond, Marlon James, Avirook Sen, Karan Johar will be seen speaking. The five day long festival will continue till January 25th.
Recommended For You
- spin lessonsAustralia Hire Sriram and Panesar Ahead of India Tour
- On PointSaif Ali Khan Responds to Criticism Over Naming His Son Taimur
- Partner ContentWatch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment
- ExclusiveBigg Boss 10: Nitibha Kaul Feels She'll Have A Great Equation With Manveer Gurjar Outside The House
- #SupportJaved Akhtar, Anupam Kher, Geeta Phogat Lend Support To Zaira Wasim