Why didn't JK Rowling feature zombies ever in the 'Harry Potter' series?
J K Rowling did not feature zombies in her 'Harry Potter' books because she is a huge fan of Jackson's 'Thriller'.
London: J K Rowling did not feature zombies in her 'Harry Potter' books because she is a huge fan of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' where the 'King of Pop' danced as a zombie.
J K Rowling updated her latest entry on the 'Harry Potter' publishing website Pottermore where she talks about animated corpses which Voldemort used to guard his Horcrux and why she created the species 'Inferi' and also unexpectedly mentioned Jackson, reported Ace Showbiz.
"I had several good reasons for not wishing to call the guardians of the locket Horcrux 'zombies'. Firstly, zombies are not part of British folklore, but associated with the myths of Haiti and parts of Africa. While students of Hogwarts would learn about them, they would not expect to meet them walking down the streets of Hogsmeade.
"Secondly, while the zombies of Vodou tradition can be nothing more than reanimated corpses, a second but related tradition has it that the sorcerer uses their souls, or part of their souls, to sustain himself.
"This conflicted with my Horcrux story, and I did not wish to suggest that Voldemort had any more use for his Inferi than as guards of his Horcrux. "Lastly, zombies have been represented and reinterpreted on film so often in the last fifty years that they have a whole raft of associations that were of no use to me. I'm part of the 'Thriller' generation; to me, a zombie will always mean Michael Jackson in a bright red bomber jacket," Rowling said.
Rowling has been sharing her thoughts about characters or creatures for the Christmas event on Pottermore since December 12. Last week, she wrote about vampires and denied that Snape was one of them despite his pale complexion.
- PM Modi's Sandesh2Soldiers Drive Draws Over 10 Lakh Messages
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: Ranbir Kapoor-Anushka Sharma's Love-Hate Relationship On Set
- I Am Botoxed, so Are Most People in the Film Industry: Karan Johar
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Which One To Buy: Apple iPhone 7 Plus or Google Pixel XL