Budget 2012: Will govt tax diesel vehicles?
The auto sector will be keenly tuned in for any helping hand from the government to push up slowing sales.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will announce the Union Budget on March 16 and the auto sector will be keenly tuned in for any helping hand from the government to push up slowing sales, and will also look for clarity on issues like a possible tax on diesel cars.
Several experts have said that diesel used for passenger vehicles should be taxed more, or there should be more taxes on diesel cars, to offset some of the losses of oil marketing companies. This move is hugely opposed by auto makers, who fear any such additional tax would hurt car sales even more.
Auto makers have also called for step up in infrastructure spending by the government and extension of excise benefits for research and development.
The Department of Heavy Industries, meanwhile, has demanded Rs 1,000 crore corpus in the budget to fund technology upgradation of the auto component industry.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic Powers Manchester United to League Cup Glory
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- Oscars 2017: Lion Actor Sunny Pawar Makes His Big Academy Debut
- Oscars 2017: La La Land, Moonlight or Lion; Who's Bollywood Rooting for?