Delhi Police's budget allocation raised
The Delhi Police had admitted deficiencies like vacancies and lack of vehicles to patrol the streets was affecting policing.
New Delhi: Delhi Police will get Rs 4,455.21 crore for next fiscal, an increase of Rs 587.88 crore from the last budget, after the year saw demands that it spruce up training and infrastructure to provide better security to people, especially women, in the national Capital. For upgrading training facilities and installation of traffic signals Rs one crore and Rs four crore respectively have been allocated while another Rs two crore has been allocated for induction of latest technology.
In the budget presented in Lok Sabha, the city police was allocated a total of Rs 34.46 crore in plan head while Rs 4,033.53 crore was earmarked for non-plan expenditure. There is a substantial increase for construction of residences for personnel to Rs 163.90 crore from last year's Rs 62 crore.
However, the revised budget figures showed that only Rs 25.40 crore was finally allotted. Only less than 20 per cent of the over 83,000 personnel have been provided with housing by Delhi Police as of now.
For construction buildings for official purposes, an allocation of Rs 223.32 crore has been made. This is an increase from last fiscal's allocation of Rs 198.50 crore.
The budgetary provisions for developing traffic and communication network and a model traffic system has been allocated Rs 11.71 crore, down from Rs 20 crore 2012. Out of the Rs 20 crore allocated, only Rs 13 crore had been utilised.
The Delhi Police, which had received flak after the December 16 gangrape incident, had admitted that deficiencies like vacancies and lack of vehicles to patrol the streets was affecting policing.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Parched Movie Review: Nuanced Performances, Heartfelt Storytelling Make It a Must Watch
- Parched Trailer Gives Closer Look at Rajasthani Rural Womanhood
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18