I am happy with what I did: Dinesh Trivedi
Former railway minister Dinesh Trivedi said he raised the fares to make the Railways safer.
New Delhi: After new Rail Minister Mukul Roy rolled back the passenger fare hike announced by Dinesh Trivedi in the Rail Budget, the former rail minister said he is happy with the Rail Budget that he prepared.
Saying that it is not proper for him to react on the current Railway Minister's comment, Trivedi said he raised the fares to make the Railways safer.
"I am concerned about railway safety," said Trivedi.
Trivedi also said that he is happy with his version of the Budget.
"If I have to present the Budget, I would have presented the same Budget without any change," he said.
"I had spent nearly eight months in its draft. Safety is the priority and I wanted to give dignity to people while travelling. AC First Class is just 8 per cent, entire nation uses sleeper class. They travel like prisoners of war," he added.
Trivedi had increased the passenger fares by 2 paise per km for suburban and ordinary second class; 3 paise per km for mail/express second class; 5 paise per km for sleeper class; 10 paise per km for AC Chair Car, AC 3-tier and First Class; 15 paise per km for AC 2-tier and 30 paise per km for AC I. Even the price of platform tickets has been raised to Rs 5 from Rs 3.
The new Railway Minister withdrew the fare hikes in suburban and ordinary second class, mail/express second class, sleeper class, AC Chair Car and AC 3-tier.
However, the fare hike of 15 paise per km for AC 2-tier and 30 paise per km for AC I will stay.
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- Saamana Office Attacked Over Cartoon Mocking Maratha Protests
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Jordanian Writer Assassinated Over Controversial Cartoon
- Mukesh Ambani the Richest Indian With Net Worth of $22.7 Billion: Forbes
- Breaking Toon: Is Nawaz Sharif Really Sharif?
- Mouni Roy's Vacation Photos Will Give You Serious Travel Goals