Mukesh Ambani richest Indian with wealth of $21 bn
Mukesh Ambani beats steel giant Lakshmi Mittal and Wipro head Azim Premji to top the Forbes's list.
New Delhi: Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani is the country's richest man with a personal fortune of $21 billion, according to Forbes Magazine. Mukesh Ambani beats steel giant Lakshmi Mittal and Wipro head Azim Premji to top the Forbes's list. Lakshmi Mittal has attained the second spot with $16 billion and the third spot goes to Azim Premji.
Mukesh Ambani has retained his position as the world's richest Indian for the fifth year in a row, although his networth declined by $1.6 billion to $21 billion but remained well above that of the second-ranked Lakshmi Mittal. Steel baron Mittal's networth also fell by $3 billion at $6 billion, making him the second richest, as per global business magazine Forbes' annual ranking of 100 wealthiest Indians, released on Thursday.
Ambani, who heads energy-to-retail conglomerate Reliance Industries group, and Mittal were followed by IT czar Azim Premji ($12.2 billion), construction major and Tata group's major shareholder Shapoorji Pallonji group patriarch Pallonji Mistry ($9.8 billion) and drugmaker Sun Pharma's Dilip Shanghvi ($9.2 billion) in the top-five.
Mukesh's younger brother Anil Ambani, who heads telecom-to-infrastructure conglomerate Reliance Group, was ranked 11th with a networth of $6 billion. Others in top-10 ranking include Adi Godrej at 6th position ($9 billion), followed by Savitri Jindal ($8.2 billion), Shashi & Ravi Ruia ($8.1 billion), Hinduja Brothers ($8 billion) and Kumar Mangalam Birla ($7.8 billion).
Even as the networth of top-ranked persons like Ambani and Mittal fell, the collective wealth of India's richest 100 rose by 3.7 per cent ($9 billion) to $250 billion in the past one year, Forbes said. The number of billionaires also rose to 61, from 57 last year. Sun Pharma group's Shanghvi entered the top-five for the first time.
(With additional inputs from PTI)
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Legendary Punjabi Actor Mehar Mittal Passes Away
- Akshay Kumar to Star in Reema Kagti's Gold