High Hopes From Budget on Reviving Sagging Economy
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley appeared set to present India's national budget in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday amid hopes that the proposals will help revive a slowing economy, hit further by demonetisation of high value currency.
Representative image. (Image: REUTERS)
New Delhi: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley appeared set to present India's national budget in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday amid hopes that the proposals will help revive a slowing economy, hit further by demonetisation of high value currency.
Individual tax payers are hoping for both a hike in the exemption limit and deductions under Section 80CC of the Income Tax Act, while the industry has sought a further rationalisation of corporate tax, excise and customs duty.
Ahead of the presentation, the markets were on a choppy wicket. The sensitive index (Sensex) of the BSE opened a tad higher at 27669.08 points, against the previous close at 27655.96 points. It then slipped into the negative territory, recoveres and again slipped.
At 10: 30 am, the index was quoting at 27,633.39 points, with a loss of 22.57 points or 0.08 per cent. At the National Stock Exchange, the broader Nifty was ruling at 8,550.90 points, with a loss of 10.40 points, or 0.12 per cent.
Recommended For You
- ICC U19 WC: Ruthless India Trounce Zimbabwe by 10 Wickets
- Padmaavat Ban to Stay, Government to Take Next Step After Studying SC Order: MP Home Minister
- 'Throat Relief': Manforce's 'New' Adrak Flavour Condom Is Reminding Us Of Chai
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Top Upcoming Deals on Smartphones, Electronics, Games And More
- These Qualities will Determine If You're a Morning or Night Person