'India may be among top three aviation markets by 2020'
The report also recommends a hike of 26 per cent cap on FDI in defence as it has failed to attract foreign investment.
New Delhi: India is likely to become one of the top three aviation markets in the world by 2020 provided the strong passenger growth clocked in recent times continues, a Ficci-PwC report said on Thursday.
"Indian civil aviation sector has continued to experience high passenger growth, and if the trend continues it could rank among the top three aviation markets in the world by 2020," it said in the report titled 'Indian Aviation:Spreading its Wings'.
Domestic traffic in India saw a Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 17 per cent between 2009 and 2011. "A strong market growth rate coupled with infrastructure expansion will help the sector back on its feet as the economy recovers," it said.
The report also said this would be a good time for global players to enter India and explore the potential of a large underserved market. "However, volatility in fuel prices combined with the highest tax on aviation turbine fuel and other national policy related issues continue to challenge the sector's growth," he said.
The recent increase of FDI up to 49 per cent in civil aviation might also not result in substantial increase in investment since it has been imposed on the aggregate of FDI and FII.
The report also recommends a hike of 26 per cent cap on FDI in defence as it has failed to attract foreign investment. India has received only $ 4 million in the 10 years since FDI was allowed in the defence sector, while the entire economy has received over $ 180 billion during the period.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit