January inflation could drop below 7 pc: Basu
The Chief Economic Adviser also said the March end inflation would be in the range of 6.5 to 6.8 per cent.
New Delhi: Amid signs of moderation in price rise situation in the country, the January inflation numbers are likely to drop below 7 per cent, said Chief Economic Adviser Kaushik Basu.
"Inflation figures are going down. The January figure, which you will get in middle of February, my expectation is that it is going to be below 7 per cent ," he said.
Basu, who also heads a Prime Minister appointed panel, was of the view that the March end inflation would be in the range of 6.5 to 6.8 per cent.
The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) based inflation, which has remained in double digits for almost two years, declined to 7.47 per cent in December 2011 from 9.11 per cent in the previous month.
Besides, the food inflation, which has a weight of about 14 per cent in the WPI, has been in negative zone for four consecutive weeks since mid-December.
Also, the high base effect of last year would be one of the reasons for lower inflation, Basu added.
The RBI, which had adopted a tight monetary policy to tame price rise, is closely watching the inflation situation before taking any decision on interest rate cut.
"With the recent moderation in WPI and expected decline in the months to come with attendant implications for monetary policy, the investment could pick up momentum," Basu added.
The January inflation data is scheduled to be released on February 14.
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Akhilesh-Shivpal Supporters Clash Ahead of Crucial SP Meet
- Mulayam Singh Explores Political Possibilities Amid Turf War
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- Samajwadi Party Live: Shivpal Yadav Addresses Party Workers, Hits Back At Akhilesh Yadav & Praises Amar Singh