L&T eyeing defence orders worth up to $ 1.4 billion
Larsen & Toubro Ltd is competing for defence contracts worth up to Rs 8,000 crore that will be awarded in the next few months, MV Kotwal, president of the company's heavy engineering department, said on Monday.
New Delhi: Larsen & Toubro Ltd is competing for defence contracts worth up to Rs 8,000 crore that will be awarded in the next few months, MV Kotwal, president of the company's heavy engineering department, said on Monday.
It has bid for four contracts from the Indian coast guard to supply training ships and support vehicles, worth about Rs 4,000 crore in total. The orders are likely to be finalised in the next six months, Kotwal said.
Larsen & Toubro, India's largest engineering and construction company, also plans to bid for two landing platform docks, worth Rs 1,000 crore to Rs 2,000 crore each, to be awarded by the Indian government.
The government is planning to offer contracts to build four multipurpose landing platform docks, two of which will be given to private-sector firms. A request for proposals for the docks will be finalised in the next few months, Kotwal said.
To foster the growth of Indian defence companies, the government has rolled out a new procurement programme seen as favouring domestic firms in a field that has been dominated by state companies and foreign firms, and is looking to partially remove restrictions on foreign companies investing in Indian defence-sector firms.
"In the next two years, we can see a clear swing in defence orders given to Indian companies," Kotwal told reporters.
Larsen & Toubro has already won a coast guard contract worth more than Rs 16,00 crore to supply 54 speed boats, at a cost of Rs 3,000 crore to Rs 3,400 crore each.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher