L&T eyeing defence orders worth up to $ 1.4 billion
Larsen & Toubro Ltd is competing for defence contracts worth up to Rs 8,000 crore that will be awarded in the next few months, MV Kotwal, president of the company's heavy engineering department, said on Monday.
New Delhi: Larsen & Toubro Ltd is competing for defence contracts worth up to Rs 8,000 crore that will be awarded in the next few months, MV Kotwal, president of the company's heavy engineering department, said on Monday.
It has bid for four contracts from the Indian coast guard to supply training ships and support vehicles, worth about Rs 4,000 crore in total. The orders are likely to be finalised in the next six months, Kotwal said.
Larsen & Toubro, India's largest engineering and construction company, also plans to bid for two landing platform docks, worth Rs 1,000 crore to Rs 2,000 crore each, to be awarded by the Indian government.
The government is planning to offer contracts to build four multipurpose landing platform docks, two of which will be given to private-sector firms. A request for proposals for the docks will be finalised in the next few months, Kotwal said.
To foster the growth of Indian defence companies, the government has rolled out a new procurement programme seen as favouring domestic firms in a field that has been dominated by state companies and foreign firms, and is looking to partially remove restrictions on foreign companies investing in Indian defence-sector firms.
"In the next two years, we can see a clear swing in defence orders given to Indian companies," Kotwal told reporters.
Larsen & Toubro has already won a coast guard contract worth more than Rs 16,00 crore to supply 54 speed boats, at a cost of Rs 3,000 crore to Rs 3,400 crore each.
- Philippines' Duterte Sparking Distress Around the World, Says US
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'