Maruti Suzuki assesses damage at Manesar plant
The company has said it is still apprehensive of the safety of its people as the main culprits are yet to be arrested.
New Delhi: Maruti Suzuki India has started assessing the damage at its Manesar plant, which was partially burnt down after violence erupted last week killing one of its senior officials and injured 100 others.
The company also said it is still apprehensive of the safety of its people as the main culprits are yet to be arrested.
"Maruti Suzuki has started assessing the extent of damage at its Manesar plant. While the company is yet to assess the overall damage to the Manesar facility, it remains concerned about the safety of its people," Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) said in a statement.
The company will announce its decision to reopen the plant only when it is assured of employee safety, it added.
"The culprits responsible for the carnage and arson continue to be at large. Considering the threat perception due to overall law and order situation in the region, it is difficult to ascertain when the company will be able to start the Manesar plant," the company said.
On Thursday, the company had said it has formed a 25-member team, drawn from its various departments, to take care of the injured employees.
"The company continues to attend to the injured and is helping them settle down," Maruti Suzuki had said.
The company had declared a lockout at the Manesar plant on July 21 saying the safety and welfare of its employees were paramount. Work at the Gurgaon plant, however, continues to be normal.
Last week, the Haryana government had announced a special investigation team (SIT), headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Ravinder Tomar, to probe the incident. The police have so far arrested 97 workers.
The Haryana government has appointed eminent criminal lawyer KTS Tulsi as special public prosecutor for the trial of the accused in violence.