Mkts end weak amid volatility
Midcap and smallcap stocks were extremely weak.
It was extremely volatile and weak day for the markets wherein the Sensex and Nifty both traded flat across yesterday's closing level and finally settled down on weak note. Realty, metal, banking, consumer durables and capital good stocks were seen struggling during today's trade but the IT and FMCG counters outperformed.
Midcap and smallcap stocks were also extremely weak and witnessed heavy selling pressure giving negative breadth. On the volume front also, it was quite disappointing. Among the IT counters, most of the frontliners were up over 4%.
Sensex ended down 62.04 points or 0.35% at 17464.89, and the Nifty closed down 12.90 points or 0.25% at 5120.35. On BSE, about 590 shares advanced, 2369 shares declined, and 52 shares were unchanged. BSE midcap was down 1.9% at 7633.27 and Smallcap ended down 2.77% at 9920.35.
BSE auto index ended down 0.88% at 4741.49. Hind Motors, Amtek Auto, Punj Tractors were the leading losers.
BSE bankex closed down 2.17% at 10159.42. Axis bank, Kotak Mahindra, Canara Bank and ICICI Bank were the top losers.
BSE capital good index ended down 1.62% at 15859.11. Jyoti Structures, Praj Industries, Reliance Infra were the top losers in this space.
BSE metal index closed down 2.67% at 15114.84. Jindal Stainless, SAIL, Sesa Goa were some of the majog losers.
BSE oil & gas index closed down 0.28% at 10638.44. Essar Oil, Reliance Petro, RNRL were the top losers.
BSE power index closed down 1.23% at 3736.31. Tata Power, GMR Infra and Torrent Power were the top losers.
BSE realty index closed down 2.46% at 9783.85. In the realty space, top losers were Purvankura Project, Akruti City, Omaxe.
BSe IT index closed up 3.73% at 3843.34. HCL Tech, Satyam, Infosys were the top gainers in the IT sector.
BSE FMCG index ended up 2.34% at 2175.09. HUL, ITC and Dabur India were the top gainers.
- OnePlus Diwali Dash Sale Live: Win OnePlus 3 at Re 1
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- No One Needs to Give Proof of Their Patriotism, Says CBFC Chief Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Controversy: Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Barack Obama Trolls Donald Trump Over 'Mean Tweet' on Late Night TV
- Indian-American Governors Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley Insulted by Trump
- Despite Bleak Electoral Map, Donald Trump Says, 'We Are Winning'
- Tata Sons Disbands Group Executive Council Set up by Cyrus Mistry