Pre-Budget meetings with Pranab begin today
A wide range of issues like bank recapitalisation, rising fiscal deficit targets are likely to be discussed.
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will start pre-Budget consultations with various stakeholders from Wednesday. The first meeting is with agriculturalists. It will be followed by a series of interactions with sectoral experts, industry captains and economists over the next three weeks to get their feedback and inputs for considering incorporation in Budget 2012-13.
Mukherjee is slated to meet trade union leaders on January 16. Social sector related groups will Mukherjee on January 17. A meeting with CEOs of banks and financial institutions is scheduled for January 19. Issues like bank recapitalisation, access to affordable financial services especially credit and insurance and interest rates are likely to be discussed in the meeting.
On January 20, Mukherjee will meet eminent economists to discuss the country's financial health and hammer out solutions for the difficult economic situation at present. The current fiscal has been a difficult for the economy, with growth slipping to 6.9 per cent in the second quarter, the lowest in nine quarters.
Besides, industrial output in October saw a sharp de-growth of 5.1 per cent. Stock markets remain volatile driven by negative investor sentiment in India and abroad. The pre-Budget consultations will end with a meeting with the captains of industry on January 31.
A wide range of issues like policy initiatives to fight sluggishness in growth, slump in industrial output and rising fiscal deficit targets are likely to come up for discussion. Moreover, impending tax reforms like Direct Taxes Code and Goods and Services Tax may also figure in the discussions.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess