PSU bank unions on two-day strike from Monday, services crippled
There are 27 public sector banks in the country with employee strength of about 8 lakh.
New Delhi: Services in public sector banks across the country have been affected as their employee unions are on a two-day nation-wide strike from Monday demanding higher salaries. Over 8 lakh employees in all PSU banks are on strike which has crippled most business and commercial activities across the country.
Many public sector banks including the State Bank of India employees have also joined the strike.
During the conciliation meeting held on February 6 before the Chief Labour Commissioner, the IBA did not come up with any improvement in the wage offer of 10 per cent hike in the pay package, United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) Convener MV Murali said.
As conciliation proceedings remained inconclusive, he said, UFBU has decided to go on two day nation-wide from February 10.
Banks including country's largest lender State Bank of India have informed customers in advance about the likely inconvenience they could face due to the strike.
Private sector players such as ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Axis Bank are expected to function normally.
All India State Bank Officers' Federation and All India State Bank of India Staff Federation, being part of UFBU will, also participate in the strike, SBI said in a statement.
General Secretary of National Organisation of Bank Workers, Ashwini Rana said as the offer made by bank management is not in line with the rising inflation, the unions are compelled to protest.
Staff of public sector banks had gone on a day's strike nationwide on December 18, after the discussions with IBA on wage revision had failed on December 14. The wage revision of public sector bank employees has been due since November 2012.
UFBU is an umbrella organisation of nine bank employees and officers unions.
There are 27 public sector banks in the country with employees strength of about 8 lakh. There are about 50,000 branches of these banks across the country.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi