RBI's rate cut will help revive investment: Ahluwalia
The Planning Commission Deputy Chairman said that the economy was beginning to bottom out after a long slowdown.
New Delhi: The Reserve Bank of India's decision to cut rates will help revive investment in the economy, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission said on Tuesday, adding that the economy was beginning to bottom out after a long slowdown.
The country's central bank reduced its policy interest rate by a widely expected 25 basis points on Tuesday, taking comfort from cooling inflation to make the first rate cut in nine months to support an economy headed for its slowest growth in a decade.
The RBI unexpectedly also reduced the cash reserve ratio (CRR), the share of deposits banks must keep with the central bank by 25 bps to 4 per cent, which will infuse an additional Rs 18,000 crore into the banking system.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology