Rupee down 18 paise against dollar in early trade
Increased demand for the dollar from banks and importers also put pressure on the rupee.
Mumbai: The rupee on Wednesday lost 18 paise to 54.79 against the US dollar in early trade on the Interbank Foreign Exchange due to appreciation of the American currency against the euro overseas and a weak opening in the domestic equity market. Increased demand for the dollar from banks and importers also put pressure on the rupee.
Dealers attributed the rupee's fall to dollar gains against the euro overseas after a top European official warned the euro currency had climbed into the danger zone and a lower opening in the stock market.
The rupee had closed 12 paise lower at 54.61 a dollar in Tuesday's trade on heavy demand for the American currency. Meanwhile, the BSE benchmark Sensex was down by 18.32 points, or 0.09 per cent, at 19,965.46 in early trade on Wednesday.
- With 84 Million Viewers, Hillary-Trump Debate Smashes Record
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resign as English Manager
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Lata Mangeshkar Has A Special Message For Her Fans In Pakistan
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War