Rupee drops 18 paise against dollar in late morning trade
The Indian benchmark Sensex inched up by 5.32 points, or 0.03 per cent, to quote at 18,686.74 at 1050 hrs.
Mumbai: The Indian rupee dropped by 18 paise to 54.35 against the American currency in the late morning trade on fresh demand for the greenback from banks and importers in view of firm dollar in overseas market.
The rupee resumed lower at 54.25 per dollar as against the last closing level of 54.17 at the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market and hovered in a range of 54.25 and 54.38 before quoting at 54.35 per dollar at 1040 hrs. Month-end dollar demand from oil companies affected the rupee value against the US unit, a forex dealer said.
In New York market, the euro fell hit by worries that the Cyprus bailout deal which includes a controversial tax on some bank deposits will serve as a blueprint for future financial aid agreements for troubled countries.
Meanwhile, the Indian benchmark Sensex inched up by 5.32 points, or 0.03 per cent, to quote at 18,686.74 at 1050 hrs.
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor