Rupee Slumps 9 paise Against Dollar as Demand Falters
Representative Image (Reuters)
Mumbai: The rupee fell for the third straight day by losing 9 paise to 66.78 against the dollar at the forex market on Friday on weakening demand as the appeal of the American currency grew with importers and banks.
The dollar firmed up against some global currencies ahead of a key US jobs report, which weighed on the rupee, dealers said. However, a higher opening of the domestic equity market restricted the rupee's losses, they added.
On Thursday, the rupee remained under pressure for the second straight day by falling 18 paise to end at 66.69 against the US dollar due to Fed rate hike concerns.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex rose 49.47 points, or 0.17 per cent, to 28,155.68 in early trade on Friday.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance