Rupee Slumps 9 paise Against Dollar as Demand Falters
Representative Image (Reuters)
Mumbai: The rupee fell for the third straight day by losing 9 paise to 66.78 against the dollar at the forex market on Friday on weakening demand as the appeal of the American currency grew with importers and banks.
The dollar firmed up against some global currencies ahead of a key US jobs report, which weighed on the rupee, dealers said. However, a higher opening of the domestic equity market restricted the rupee's losses, they added.
On Thursday, the rupee remained under pressure for the second straight day by falling 18 paise to end at 66.69 against the US dollar due to Fed rate hike concerns.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex rose 49.47 points, or 0.17 per cent, to 28,155.68 in early trade on Friday.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Tahir and Ferguson Shine as Pune Humiliate Bangalore
- Sonam Posts Emotional Message On Her Maternal Grandmother's Demise
- Nehra Turns 38: Sachin, Sehwag Lead the Way in Wishing the Pacer
- Ranbir Kapoor, Katrina Kaif Pose For a Fun Picture With Sayani Gupta
- Jennifer Lopez's Latest Outfit Proves There's No One As Bold As Her