Rupee Tumbles 12 Paise Against Dollar on US Rate Hike Calls
Representative Image (Reuters)
Mumbai: The rupee turned weak by 12 paise to 66.83 against the dollar on Monday at the foreign exchange market after the American currency gained ground following a spurt in demand from importers.
Dealers said strength in the dollar against some other currencies overseas on the prospects of higher US rates also weighed on the rupee, but a higher opening in the domestic equity market meant the losses were limited.
On Friday, the rupee had staged a smart recovery from its three-week low against the US currency to close up by 23 paise at 66.71 on heavy corporate dollar sales as well as easing inflationary pressure.
The benchmark BSE Sensex rose further by 129.61 points, or 0.26 per cent, to 27,803.21 in early trade on Monday.
Recommended For You
- MARCHING ORDERS?MCC Recommends Red Card Suspension in Cricket, Limit To Bat Size
- Youtube rewindRajnikanth's Kabali Trailer: The Most Watched Movie Trailer on YouTube in 2016
- Unbelievable?Aishwarya Rai's Recent Photo with Katrina Kaif, Madhuri Dixit Will Make Your Day
- Making of AmmaA Viral Post on Jayalalithaa Highlights the Odds She Fought to Become Tamil Nadu's Iron Lady
- ExplosiveRaees Trailer: 6 Explosive Dialogues That Sum up SRK's Character Perfectly