Rupee Tumbles 12 Paise Against Dollar on US Rate Hike Calls
Representative Image (Reuters)
Mumbai: The rupee turned weak by 12 paise to 66.83 against the dollar on Monday at the foreign exchange market after the American currency gained ground following a spurt in demand from importers.
Dealers said strength in the dollar against some other currencies overseas on the prospects of higher US rates also weighed on the rupee, but a higher opening in the domestic equity market meant the losses were limited.
On Friday, the rupee had staged a smart recovery from its three-week low against the US currency to close up by 23 paise at 66.71 on heavy corporate dollar sales as well as easing inflationary pressure.
The benchmark BSE Sensex rose further by 129.61 points, or 0.26 per cent, to 27,803.21 in early trade on Monday.
Recommended For You
- 'Slow Motion' MS Dhoni Teases Jason Holder During Second ODI
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno Races Past 2,00,000 Unit Sales Within 20 Months
- Arjun Celebrates Birthday with Close Friends KJo, Ranveer and Ranbir
- It Doesn't Make Sense: Konkona Sensharma On Censorship
- Kohli & Boys Find the Perfect Place to Celebrate Win over Windies