Sahara seeks review of order to refund Rs 24,000 cr
The court granted the group's two companies three months to deposit the amount.
New Delhi: The Sahara Group on Friday moved the Supreme Court seeking review of its August 31 order to refund Rs 24,000 crore to investors. In a major setback to the Sahara Group, the Supreme Court had directed the business conglomerate to deposit over Rs 24,000 crore that it had collected through OFCD (optionally fully convertible debentures) with PSU banks.
The court granted the group's two companies - Sahara India Real Estate Corporation and Sahara Housing Investment Corporation - three months to deposit the amount. Sahara was also asked to give a list of all the investors to SEBI in the next 10 days.
The two-judge bench of Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice JS Khehar directed SEBI to take action against Sahara India Real Estate Corporation and Sahara Housing Investment Corporation, if they failed to refund the money.
SC directs Sahara to refund Rs 24,000 crore to investors
The apex court allowed the regulatory body to attach properties and freeze bank accounts of the two companies if they did not comply with its order. The apex court also directed SEBI to conduct a probe against the two Sahara companies to find out their actual subscriber base.
The court also appointed retired Supreme Court judge BN Agrawal to oversee the refund of this amount to investors.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son
- Dalit Boy Whose Video Went Viral Says Was Thrashed Because of Good Grades
- Supreme Court Set To Revisit 'Hindutva' Judgment After 20 Years
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18