Sensex, Nifty end in green; Sebi to probe midcap crash
Shares of a host of mid-cap and small-cap companies crashed amid panic selling on speculations of sale of pledged shares.
Mumbai: Key equity benchmarks ended trade on Monday flat with a positive bias. The Sensex closed up 14.68 points at 19331.69, and the Nifty ended up 4.45 points at 5854.75.
However, shares of a host of mid-cap and small-cap companies on Monday crashed in the stock market, plunging as much as 60 per cent in some cases, amid panic selling on speculations of sale of pledged shares.
Stock exchanges and market regulator Sebi immediately began looking into the matter to probe any possible foul play after a huge sell-off was witnessed in shares of more than a dozen companies towards noon, a senior official said. The BSE mid-cap and small-cap indices were down 1.33 per cent each.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: La La Land, Moonlight or Lion; Who's Bollywood Rooting for?
- Lionel Messi on Target as Barcelona Edge Atletico Madrid