Sensex, Nifty end in green; Sebi to probe midcap crash
Shares of a host of mid-cap and small-cap companies crashed amid panic selling on speculations of sale of pledged shares.
Mumbai: Key equity benchmarks ended trade on Monday flat with a positive bias. The Sensex closed up 14.68 points at 19331.69, and the Nifty ended up 4.45 points at 5854.75.
However, shares of a host of mid-cap and small-cap companies on Monday crashed in the stock market, plunging as much as 60 per cent in some cases, amid panic selling on speculations of sale of pledged shares.
Stock exchanges and market regulator Sebi immediately began looking into the matter to probe any possible foul play after a huge sell-off was witnessed in shares of more than a dozen companies towards noon, a senior official said. The BSE mid-cap and small-cap indices were down 1.33 per cent each.
- My Character in Rock On 2 Goes Through an Internal Conflict: Farhan Akhtar
- 'Rock On!!' Was Shraddha Kapoor's Favourite Film During Her Growing Up Years
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 8: Celebrities Get Malik Status, Indiawale Fight Among Themselves
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 5