Sensex Climbs 159 Points, RBI Policy Meet in Focus
The Sensex surged by over 159 points on Tuesday as interest-sensitive stocks took the centre-stage ahead of RBI's announcement of its policy decision later in the day amid firm Asian cues.
File photo of a man outside the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Mumbai: The Sensex surged by over 159 points today as interest-sensitive stocks took the centre-stage ahead of RBI's announcement of its policy decision later in the day amid firm Asian cues.
The rupee gained more against the dollar, buoying the overall mood.
The 30-share index rose 159.36 points, or 0.56 per cent, to 28,402.65, with sectoral indices led by auto, realty, banking, oil & gas and power trading in the positive zone with a gain of up to 0.74 per cent.
The gauge had rallied 415.76 points in the previous two sessions.
The NSE Nifty too added 34.30 points, or 0.39 per cent, at 8,772.40.
Sentiment remained upbeat as investors went about building fresh bets in anticipation of a rate cut. The credit policy review will be the first under new RBI Governor Urjit Patel with assistance from the newly constituted monetary policy committee (MPC).
Major gainers that supported the key indices were ONGC, GAIL, Hero MotoCorp, Adani Ports, RIL, Cipla and Tata Motors. Hong Kong's Hang Seng was up 0.04 per cent while Japan's Nikkei went up 0.88 per cent. Chinese markets are closed for all the week for the National Day holiday.
The US Dow Jones Industrial Average, however, ended 0.30 per cent lower in yesterday's trade.
Recommended For You
- Never Mind His Political Agenda, Here Is Rajinikanth's Next Film
- Welcome To New York Review: Save Your Precious 2 Hours By Avoiding This Painfully Unfunny Film
- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety: Great Entertainer in 'Anti-Women' Genre With No Social Conscience
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, Note 5 Pro Tips n Tricks: How to Get The Best Out of Your New Android Smartphones
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra Ups the Glamour Quotient with an Interesting Take on Fashion; See Pics