Bharti Airtel launches 4G in Kolkata
Bharti Airtel has launched BWA services in Kolkata, becoming the first company to offer 4G services in India.
Kolkata: Bharti Airtel has launched Broadband Wireless Access or BWA services in Kolkata, becoming the first company to offer 4G services in India. The services will also be available in Pune, Chandigarh and Bangalore soon.
The services on offer include those which can be intercepted by and made available in the required format to the security agencies.
Airtel had announced last week that it has roped in Chinese telecom equipment maker ZTE to plan, design, supply and deploy its BWA network in Kolkata.
The 4G service has the potential to provide a download speeds of around 100 Megabits per second when a user is on the move, and can go up to 1 Gigabits per second at a fixed location.
The telecom major has appointed Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) for building and operating network in the Maharashtra circle using TD-LTE - one of the 4G technologies.
The company had won BWA spectrum in 2010 for four telecom circles - Kolkata, Maharashtra, Punjab and Karnataka and had paid Rs 3,314.36 crore.
The company was allocated 20 Mhz of BWA spectrum in 2.3 Ghz frequency band which is considered suitable for transmitting signals for operating 4G services.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18