Telecom Stocks Tumble After Jio Extends Free Services Till March
Reliance Industry Limited’s Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani. (Image: Reuters)
Mumbai: Stocks of telecom companies tumbled as much as 6 per cent after Reliance Industries Ltd announced extension of free voice and data offer for existing and new consumers of RJio till March 31.
"Starting December 4, 2016, every new Jio user will get Jio's data, voice, video and the full bouquet of Jio applications absolutely free till March 31, 2017," RIL Chairman Mukesh Ambani said.
The 'Jio Happy New Year Offer' will also be extended to existing customers on current SIMs, he said.
Idea Cellular, Bharti Airtel and Reliance Communications stock witnessed heavy selling pressure following the announcement.
At the end of today's trading on BSE Idea Cellular was quoted at Rs 72.95 - down 5.93 per cent, while Bharti Airtel settled at Rs 319.10 - down 1.66 per cent. Reliance Communications closed at Rs 35.75, down 5.05 per cent.
Reliance Jio, Ambani said, is the fastest-growing technology company in the world. "In the first 3 months, Jio has grown faster than Facebook, WhatsApp or Skype," he said.
RIL, in September, stormed into the telecom business announcing free voice and data till December-end.
Recommended For You
- Youtube rewindRajnikanth's Kabali Trailer: The Most Watched Movie Trailer on YouTube in 2016
- Fashion Awards 2016International Model Of The Year: Gigi Hadid's Best Fashion Moments Of 2016
- Fascinating!The Circle Trailer: Emma Watson, Tom Hanks Starrer is Dark and Compelling
- MARCHING ORDERS?MCC Recommends Red Card Suspension in Cricket, Limit To Bat Size
- YouTube RewindTop 10 YouTube Videos of 2016: Kala Chashma is The Most Watched Music Video