Watered down draft does not urge SL to accept international probe
The revised draft makes mention of new evidence of human rights violations, but imposes no new conditions on Sri Lanka.
New Delhi: A revised version of the US resolution draft accessed by Amnesty from the UNHRC intranet is a watered down version of the original. The draft 'Encourages' rather than 'Urges' Sri Lanka to accept an independent international probe.
The revised draft inserts a para 'Welcomes Sri Lankan work in rehabilitation of war-displaced Tamils'. It calls on 'respective states' rather than 'Government of Sri Lanka' to implement recommendations.
The revised draft makes mention of new evidence of human rights violations, but imposes no new conditions on Sri Lanka. This is not the final final version of the resolution which will be voted and there could be more revisions.
Read the US resolution revised draft
Recommended For You
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer's Appearance at Shahid's Party
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner