DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Watered down draft does not urge SL to accept international probe
The revised draft makes mention of new evidence of human rights violations, but imposes no new conditions on Sri Lanka.
New Delhi: A revised version of the US resolution draft accessed by Amnesty from the UNHRC intranet is a watered down version of the original. The draft 'Encourages' rather than 'Urges' Sri Lanka to accept an independent international probe.
The revised draft inserts a para 'Welcomes Sri Lankan work in rehabilitation of war-displaced Tamils'. It calls on 'respective states' rather than 'Government of Sri Lanka' to implement recommendations.
The revised draft makes mention of new evidence of human rights violations, but imposes no new conditions on Sri Lanka. This is not the final final version of the resolution which will be voted and there could be more revisions.
Read the US resolution revised draft
Recommended For You
- 'Anil Kumble, Virat Kohli Not On Same Page About Pay Hike'
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- GST Impact – Mercedes Announces Price Reduction by Upto 9%
- Qualcomm India Roadmap: More For Indian Smartphone Users