Wealth: Bargain, get a cheap home loan from banks
A good credit repayment record may earn you favours with banks.
The Reserve Bank of India has lowered the repo rate (rate at which the central bank lends money to other commercial banks) by 100 basis point from 7.5 per cent to 6.5 per cent.
Following this, ICICI Bank announced a reduction in its home loan rate from 13 per cent to 11.5 per cent for loans up to Rs 20 lakh. This new rate is applicable only for new customers. Other banks are likely to follow suit.
Existing customers: Bargain!
"If your bank offers home loan at more than 11 per cent, look towards other banks who offer lower rate of interest," says home loan expert Harsh Roongta.
While negotiating for lower interest rates from the present bank or the new bank, it will work in your favour to have the following brownie points:
- 1. A spotless record of repayment since your loan commencement.
- 2. Your income has either remained stable or has increased.
- 3. You have not acquired any fresh liability.
(Read: don't let higher EMIs ruin your budget)
Penalties and fees
It's worth it to pay up the prepayment penalties and loan processing charges if the new loan will come at less than 11 per cent, say experts.
Old home loan: Rs 20 lakh
Floating rate interest: 13 per cent
Tenure: 20 years
EMI would have been Rs 23,726 per month.
Now, assume that you have paid EMI for 2 years.
Outstanding loan amount: Rs 19.47 lakh
Interest rate: 11 per cent
Tenure: 18 years
EMI: would be Rs 21,259
Total switching cost (including prepayment penalty and processing fee for the new loan) would be Rs 48,683.
Disclaimer: While efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in the content, the web site or the author shall not be held responsible for any loss caused to any person whatsoever who accesses or uses or is supplied with the content (consisting of articles and information).
Recommended For You
- Moment of Reckoning For Kohli, Smith and Dharamsala
- Maruti Suzuki Ignis Review: Is It The Car For You?
- 3 Reasons to Not Buy a Term Plan
- India Isn't Comfortable With Women Who Are Unapologetic About Their Sexuality: Swara Bhaskar
- Alia-Sidharth, Sonakshi-Bunty and Others Attend Anushka's Phillauri Special Screening