Work on Direct Tax Code in progress: Chidambaram
Chidambaram said the DTC will be a new code based on the international practices that will be compatible with the needs of a fast developing economy.
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram on said work on the Direct Tax Code (DTC) Bill, which seeks to overhaul income tax laws, is in progress and the amended Bill will be introduced in the ongoing Budget session. Presenting the Budget, he said that the DTC is not intended to be an amended version of Income Tax Act, 1961 but a new code based on the international practices that will be compatible with the needs of a fast developing economy.
He said the Standing Committee on Finance has submitted its report on the Bill and the government attaches great weight to its recommendations. "My team in the Ministry of Finance is examining the recommendations and I intend to work with the Standing Committee and its Chairman in order to finalise the official amendments. I shall endeavour to bring the Bill back to this House before the end of the Budget Session".
Among other things, the Standing Committee headed by senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha, had suggested raising the tax exemption tax limit to Rs 3 lakh as against Rs 2 lakh proposed in the original DTC Bill. It has also suggested that subsequent tax slabs be adjusted accordingly to provide relief to people reeling under the impact of inflation.
Other recommendations of the panel include hiking the investment limit for tax savings schemes to Rs 3.20 lakh and pegging wealth tax limit at Rs 5 crore. It also recommended abolition of the Securities Transaction Tax (STT). As regards the corporate tax, it recommended that the rate be retained at 30 per cent.
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18