Georgia School Employee Fired For Racist Post About Michelle Obama
US first lady Michelle Obama waves as she appears onstage during the first session at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Reuters)
Officials with a Georgia school district say an employee has been fired after she described first lady Michelle Obama as a gorilla on Facebook.
Forsyth County Schools said in a statement that elementary school paraprofessional Jane Wood Allen was fired Monday. The statement says "racism and discrimination are not tolerated" in the school district.
District spokeswoman Jennifer Caracciolo confirmed Monday that the decision to fire Allen was made after officials learned of the Facebook postings.
No one answered the phone Monday at a number listed for Allen. The number wasn't set up to allow voicemail messages.
News media outlets first reported the posts last week during the district's fall break.
Allen's Facebook page was no longer visible Monday.
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Happy Birthday Prabhas: 6 of His Unforgettable Performances
- Samajwadi Party Rift: Mulayam Backs Amar Singh, Shivpal; Meet Ends in Acrimony
- Samajwadi Party: From Clear Majority in 2012 to Total Chaos Now
- Akhilesh-Shivpal Supporters Clash Ahead of Crucial SP Meet
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM