International Literacy Day 2016 : 10 Quotes That Highlight The Importance Of Learning
In 1966, UNESCO celebrated its first International Literacy Day.
In the words of Kofi Anan, "Literacy is the bride from misery to hope". It is a defensive wall against poverty and an investment that will bear fruitful results for a lifetime.
By learning to read and write one can fulfil every dream and in modern times, it is but an essential tool for survival.
But sadly, not everybody gets an opportunity to acquire education and be called a learned person. According to a UNESCO report, there are around 700 million illiterate adults around the world, of which two-thirds are women. And nearly 60 million children, who are not admitted to a school, have either dropped off or are attending school irregularly
In 1966, UNESCO celebrated its first International Literacy Day. It was aimed at communicating the importance of reading and writing to individuals, communities, and nations around the world.
And ever since, September 8 has been celebrated as International Literacy Day. And this year will be marked by the celebration of the 50th anniversary of ILD worldwide with the theme: “Reading the past, writing the future”.
It is a day that highlights the fact that each individual, irrespective of caste, class, color etc, has the right to education, and the right to be literate.
So, on this day, we bring to you a compilation of 10 quotes that highlight the importance of literacy to individuals, communities and societies.
Recommended For You
- BOOM BOOM BECKERTennis Legend Boris Becker to Visit India in December
- POWER PACKEDLenovo K6 Power Review: A Complete Budget Android Phone Under Rs 10,000
- Can't wait!Koffee With Karan: The 100th Episode Featuring Salman Khan is Going to be 'Khantastic'
- DisgustingBertolucci's Rape Scene Confession on the Sets of 'Last Tango in Paris' Leaves Hollywood Shocked
- Dead Rises AgainThe Mummy Trailer: Tom Cruise Starrer Reboot Rides High on Action